20 Mile mountain bike ride starts 09:15 from Kinecroft Park (OX10 0DT)
11 Mile mountain bike ride starts 09:30 from Kinecroft Park (OX10 0DT)
20 Mile route description
Elevation: 1,265 ft
Riders starts from Kinecroft Park and after crossing the picturesque River Thames Bridge you’ll be thrown straight onto a wooded trail within the Chilterns AONB. (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty).
After a gentle start, the route will thrust you up a steep climb into the heart of the amazing Chiltern Beech Tree Woods behind the idyllic villages of Checkendon and Stoke Row. After exploring these woods you’ll be refreshed at the food stop conveniently located at the Cherry Tree public house. You’ll then be mostly descending back to Wallingford and will be able to admire some terrific panoramas over the Thames Valley.
The 20 mile route is a moderately challenging course, suitable for weekend ‘off-roaders’.
The route includes bridleways, byways and a couple of quiet country lanes, taking you through rolling foot hills and deeply wooded areas. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife and the Checkendon Cheetah, a phantom wild cat purported to live in the woods!
Where the route crosses the A4074 near the start and the finish of your ride you may be lucky enough to glimpse the National boys or girls road race whizz by. You will be asked to stop and watch!
11 Mile route description:
Elevation: 272 ft
Riders starts from Kinecroft Park. The 11 mile ride explores some of the fun, safe cycle paths around Wallingford area. It will involve some gentle climbing and descents but will not involve any technical riding. It will be a way marked route that starts and finishes on Kinecroft Park. The route will take you through the villages of Mongewell, North Stoke and Little Stoke, up a steady ascent up Cobblers Hill where you will see lovely views of Wallingford and the Thames Valley, returning to the Kinecroft via a speedy descent down Constitution Hill.
The course heads into the Chilterns and includes bridleways, byways, and a couple of quiet country lanes, taking you through rolling foot hills and wooded areas.
The 11 mile mountain bike ride also crosses the National Boys and Girls road race at one point, so you may be lucky enough to get a glimpse of the race whizz by. You will be asked to stop and watch, but we hope this is one of the enjoyable moments of the day!
Info for participants
- On the day, parking for the event is at Wallingford Sports Park, Hithercroft Road, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 9RB. Parking at the Sports Park will enable you to leave Wallingford easily avoiding any road closures. See our travel advice page regarding alternative parking options.
- It is a 5-7 min cycle ride from Wallingford Sports Park to Kinecroft park, where the mountain bike ride starts and finishes.
- Please note there is a secure bike park near the finish if you wish to enjoy other areas of the festival once you have finished your ride.
Sign on in Kinecroft park (OX10 0DT)
- Entries are allowed on the day so bring friends, but those not entered will need to arrive at least one hour before starting and early start times are now limited.
- Aim to sign on one hour before your ride i.e. 8:30 am ready for a 9:30 am start time.
- You must sign on to validate the event insurance and all parents of children must have signed a parental consent form.
Feed station for 20 mile riders only
There is one feed for riders who entered the 20 mile ride, this will be at the Cherry Tree Inn (www.thecherrytreeinn.co.uk) Water, energy bars and bananas will be provided, other refreshments will be available to purchase.
At the finish
- You may collect a goodie bag and certificates will be available to be downloaded online.
- There will be medals for the children.
- Please ensure your number is noted down so that we can ensure all riders have returned safely.
- Leave your bike in the secure bike park and enjoy all the festival has to offer!
Please remember that all the sportive marshals are volunteers please make sure you listen to their advice and give them a friendly wave. There will be marshals along the way to prevent anyone from getting lost.
- There are a couple of hills on the route, so please be aware of any other cyclists that may wish to overtake you and keep to the left!
- Please wear a helmet.
- So that you can enjoy your ride fully please ensure you carry adequate drink and some food with you along with spare inner tubes and gas/pumps and a tool kit.
- Their will be a “broom wagon” with adequate supplies to help with punctures and make sure no one is left behind
- Please phone 01491 528900 if you require assistance whilst on the course.
|Enter on the day:||£25|
|Enter on the day:||£12|
|Registration:||07:30 – 08:45|
|Start Times:||20 mile – 09:15
11 mile – 09:30
|GPX Files:||11 mile / 20 mile|